About The Doyle-Archer House
The Doyle-Acher House was built in 1911 in the Arts and Crafts/ Craftsman Style at a cost estimated to be $2,300. It is a unique example of the style because of the bay window on the west side, the north elevation porch with hipped roof, the exposed rafter roof ends, and an exterior chimney.
Additions to the house were: an addition to the east side; stone columns to the front porch in about 2000; and a two story addition off S. Thrash Street in 2002. As stated in the 2001 Survey for Granbury, none of these changes has detracted from its status as an important historic property. The floor plans were first published in 1909 in the Ladies Home Journal and were touted as "Home Plans of the Future."
The land was first acquired and taxes paid in 1904. Sometime in 1911 or 1912, a significant increase in taxes (from $100 to $700) clearly indicated that the house was built. In 1912 William Earle (known as Earle) Doyle and/or his wife, Nell, paid taxes until 1917. William Earle was the son of James Hogan Doyle who was one of the early prominent figures in Granbury and and one of the founders of the First National Bank.
Another prominent figure in early Granbury, J. (Joel) Archer purchased the house in 1918. The Archer family was involved in education and business and some members of the family were merchants on the Square. They occupied the home until 1972.
The home is now known as Granbury Gardens Bed & Breakfast which first opened as a B&B on July 4, 2006. The fourth owners, Betsy and Glenn Kruger, purchased the property on January 20, 2017, and are the current owners.
The residence possesses significance in history, architecture, archeology, and culture. William Earle Doyle was in business early in Granbury's history, built a home and invested in Granbury financially, socially and aesthetically. In the 1978 Hood County History, the Doyle and Archer families are listed as builders of Granbury and were associated with the lives of persons who significantly added to Granbury's history. On April 2, 2013, The Granbury City Council approved the designation "Historic Landmark #30."