Founded in 1887, Granbury started as a square and log cabin
court house. Many of the buildings on the square are now
registered historic landmarks, including the Granbury Opera
House, which still hosts Broadway productions. The city name
originated from the Confederate General Hiram B. Granberry.
Some scholars, to explain why the city name is spelled
differently, believe the name Granberry was misread on a
document, but recent findings have concluded that Granberry
chose to spell his name Granbury.
Granbury and Hood County are rich in Texas history. David
(Davy) Crockett's wife, Elizabeth, settled in Hood County in
1853 following the Texas Revolution against Mexico. Crockett,
as well as other Alamo participants, received 640 acres in
land grants. The Crockett family received land in what is now
Hood County. Elizabeth Crockett is buried in Acton State
Historic Site, the smallest state park in Texas. A large
statue of Elizabeth Crockett marks her grave site. Several of
Crockett's descendants still reside in Hood County.
John Wilkes Booth, according to Granbury legend, moved to
Hood County and assumed the name of John St. Helen. A store
on the historic town square, St. Helen's, is named after him.